Friday, May 22, 2009

A tale of two nines.

Ok, so I haven't written in a while. Mostly because I want to provide positive blogging, or blogging I/You/We can learn from... But the last several weeks worth of Golf have been DISMAL. Worse than that: I couldn't figure out what happened. Well, ok, I know what happened: Zero focus, little concentration and a very sloppy swing -- but I couldn't figure why it happened.

Today was slightly different.

Keeping in mind that I'm your typical amateur golfer: Breaking 100 is a big deal.

I won't bore you with a shot by shot summary, but I managed 5 pars on the front nine. It was amazing because I felt I nailed every one of my swings/putts. The holes I didn't score well on were due to mis-judging the target areas rather than bad swings. In other words I felt "In the Zone", "In State", I was stoked! It was brilliant.

Then I "fist pumped." and not in a good way. Quick explanation: On any "funny videos of people hurting themselves" show, if you see anyone doing really well on water-skis and they fist pump for the camera, inevitably they are going to wipe out big time.

The back nine was horrific. Again, won't bore you with a shot by shot description but I managed to break 100 (94 as a matter of fact...) I felt like I was flailing around the course, not swinging.

What happened?

On reflection I think it comes down to this: On the front nine, I was completely focused on my game. I went through my pre-shot routine, got a good vision of my target, practiced my swing feel and executed. That's it. On the back nine, having fist-pumped and declared victory on my game, I started paying attention to my playing partners and their woes. I started "Trying" to get my concentration back... It was sad.

Next time out I'm going to try concentrating on my game for all 18 to see what happens.

We'll see.

Posted via email from Kinetic Golfer

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis